Jack and Suzanne Peltason endowed the Peltason Fellowship to support incoming Ph.D.
students who want to devote their careers to understanding and strengthening the democratic
process in the United States and internationally.
Jack Peltason served as the 16th President of the University of California (1992-95), after serving as Chancellor of the University of California, Irvine (1984-92) and as Chancellor of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1967-77). In addition, he was President of the American Council on Education (1977-1984). Peltason is a fellow in the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, as well as a founding member of the Center for the Study of Democracy. Peltason has an equally lengthy and distinguished career as a scholar of American democracy. He is one of the nation's leading experts on the Constitution, and his book is the definitive work in the field. He is a highly regarded scholar on the U.S. constitution, and his textbook on American Politics, Government by the People, is the leading book in the field.
Suzanne Peltason also has made very significant contributions to the spirit and the history of the University of California and the University of Illinois. She was an equal part of the team that helped to build UC Irvine as great university, and played an especially important role in developing a sense of community among the faculty and employees of the University. As UCI celebrated its twenty-fifth anniversary, she authored UCI--The First 25 Years as a testament to what had been achieved. And when the Peltasons retired and returned to Irvine, Suzanne has continued to develop the sense of community and spirit that has made the university so successful.
These fellowships provide first-year support for students who enter the Ph.D. program in political science at UC Irvine and participate in the Center's Democracy Fellows program.
- 2016: Maneesh Arora, BA, University of Oregon
- 2016: Sofia Pedroza, BA, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
2015: Colin Bernatzky, BA, Vassar College
2014: Jennifer Garcia, BA, University of California, Berkeley
2014: Robert Nyenhuis, BA, Universiyt of Missouri
- 2013: Kathryn Hoban, BA, University of California, Berkeley
- 2012: Lila P. Kooklan, BA, University of California, Irvine
- 2012: Burrel Vann Jr., BA, California State University, Fullerton
- 2011: Eulalie Jean Laschever, BA, Pacific University, Oregon
- 2011: Anna Tan, BA, York University
- 2010: Ralph Ittonen Hosoki, BA, Carleton College
- 2010: Neil Chaturvedi, Neil, BA, University of California, Riverside
- 2010: Ryan Shirah, BA, University of Georgia
- 2010: Daisy Reyes, BA, University of California, Santa Barbara
- 2009: Beth Gardner, BA,New York University
- 2008: Yiyang Hu, BA, Hangzhou Dianzi University; MA, University of Pittsburgh
- 2007: Seth Alexander, BA, University of Redlands
- 2007: Moon-Young Choi, BA, University of California, Los Angeles
- 2007: Alice Motes, BA, Smith College
- 2006: Amy Alexander, BA, California State University, Fullerton
- 2006: Gregory Ferenstein, BA, UC Santa Cruz
- 2004: Christopher Stout, BA, UC Riverside
- 2004: Hsin yeh Hsieh, BA, National Taiwan University
- 2002: Alix van Sickle, BA, San Diego State University
- 2001: Nhu-Ngoc Ong, BA, MA, California State University, Fullerton
- 1999: Steve Plette, BA, UC Irvine; MA, San Diego State University